ESPN.com

Webster listed as questionable against Bucs

January 10, 2003

Associated Press

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Jason Webster missed another practice Thursday with a sprained ankle, though the San Francisco 49ers' starting cornerback still hopes to play Sunday against Tampa Bay.

Webster, a third-year pro, missed the 49ers' 39-38 victory over the New York Giants last Sunday after spraining his left ankle in the regular-season finale. He hasn't practiced since then, and he is questionable for the Niners' playoff game against the Buccaneers.

"We're ready to go if he doesn't (play),'' 49ers defensive coordinator Jim Mora said. "You always have to approach it as if you're not going to have a guy. I hope he plays, and if he doesn't, we'll be OK. I know he's getting better all the time.''

Rookie Mike Rumph will start if Webster can't play. When starting safety Zack Bronson returned to the lineup last week, Webster was the only significant injured player remaining in San Francisco's secondary, which hasn't been whole since the second week of the regular season.

Offensive linemen Derrick Deese and Ron Stone also skipped practice Thursday with sprained ankles, but both are expected to play. So is All-Pro receiver Terrell Owens, who hasn't practiced much in the last two months because of groin and heel injuries.

Rookie linebacker Saleem Rasheed is back in practice, and he expects to play Sunday. Rasheed has played in just one game since late September because of strained muscles in his left leg, but he hopes to play on special teams against Tampa Bay.

Rasheed and Jamie Winborn essentially missed the entire season with injuries that compromised the 49ers' depth at linebacker. Winborn was placed on injured reserve last week.

"I feel outstanding,'' Rasheed said. "I've tested the leg time and time again. I'm not sitting out. I've done too much strengthening, and I've trained too well.''

Tell us what you think on the new 49ers Clubhouse message board.